Community Counseling Center’s CoNEXTion Street Outreach Program operates a youth activity center as well as street based services for youth on the Southside of Cape Girardeau who are runaway, homeless and/or street youth that have been victimized by extreme poverty, domestic violence, crime, substance use, adolescent pregnancy, and have been subject to or are at-risk of being subject to sexual abuse, prostitution, sexual exploitation, and severe forms of trafficking. The program focuses on individuals 12 – 21 years of age who are runaway, homeless, at-risk of homelessness, or youth that spend a great deal of time on the street.
The program incorporates the following best practices as a basis for outreach and services:
- Positive Youth Development
- Trauma-Informed Care Approach
- Harm Reduction
Goals of the program include, but are not limited to:
- Provide education/prevention to youth at-risk of or victims of sexual abuse, prostitution, sexual exploitation and/or trafficking while increasing daily living skills to promote positive life experiences.
- To reduce barriers to education/vocational; medical; behavioral health; and/or victimization treatment services by completing thorough comprehensive assessment on program youth to evaluate the need for referral and when identified, provide a referral to such services.
- To provide increased access to safe shelter and/or other Safe haven for street youth by increasing the number of Youth accepting safe shelter through services offered 24/7, such as crisis intervention.
If you would like more information about this program, please contact this office at (573) 803-1210.
Disclaimers: Our Street Outreach Program reports data to the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS). As such consent is required for program enrollment. Please see the below HMIS privacy notices, including information on how to report a complaint or compliance issue.
Street Outreach Program is partially funded (90%) by the Administration of Children and Families, Family and Youth Services Bureau’s (FYSB) Runaway and Homeless Youth (RHY) Program.